Salem Free Clinics (SFC) was started in January 2005 as an outreach by West Salem Foursquare Church (WSFC). As WSFC met with people living in the Edgewater district of West Salem asking what they could do to help…the number one answer was the need for access to healthcare. With the need for medical help in mind, Dr. Marion Reynolds and Todd Gould (Outreach Pastor) made their first house call. Walker Middle School (located in West Salem) offered the use of their gym for the first 5 years of SFC’s existence meeting every 1st and 3rd Saturday afternoon.
As Salem Alliance Church (SAC) began praying about God’s plan for their new building on Broadway St. NE, they surveyed the Grant/Highland neighborhoods. Again, healthcare needs rose to the top. At the same time SFC was praying for a permanent place to call home. Because we serve a great God who knows all things, He led to a partnership developed between SFC and SAC. On October 3, 2009 SFC moved into a temporary location in Salem awaiting a final move to its new permanent facility. During the stay at our interim location we expanded from 2 clinics a month to 10 clinics a month.
In November, 2009, SFC expanded to include a satellite clinic at Trinity Covenant Church in South Salem. This clinic meets on the second Saturday morning of each month. In August, 2011 SFC also expanded in to Polk County with the start of the Polk Community Free Clinic located in Dallas, OR. In August, 2012, they expanded their clinic offering the to two clinics a month on the1st and 4th Saturdays.
On September 4, 2010 we moved into our permanent location on Broadway St. NE. We continue to trust God to show us how to grow and expand our services. In our main facility we currently offer acute care, dental services and specialty clinics such as gynecology, orthopedics, podiatry, diabetes, and more. These clinics are available to our patients via referral from our providers. We also continue to expand our Mental Health and Counseling services in our satellite location on Portland Road in Salem. God is continuing to bless us in amazing ways, and we look forward to His leading for SFC’s future.
Here are some facts that might be of interest as Salem Free Clinics finished 2013.
- We finished our office expansion that now includes 4 new work areas for staff and volunteers.
- We kicked off our first annual Run for Hope and Health in September as a fund raiser. We hope to continue this into the future and have a 2014 date planned.
- We added a second Friday dental clinic in April 2013 which was on our dream list for 2013.
- We had our first KP (Kaiser Permanente) Night Out in November. This is a partnership with doctors and nurses from Kaiser and our staff for a clinic.
- We finished our first year using our electronic health record, scanning all of our paper documents into the system and finally shredding our paper charts.
- Our volunteers supported our clinic in 2013 during actual patient clinics and office work behind the scenes of a clinic for a total of 30,592 hours (14.71 FTE). This is an in kind donation of $901,924.74 to Salem Free Clinics.
- An average of 30 providers (medical/dental/mental health and counseling) volunteered each month in 2013 to provide services for our community
- Some patient statistics of interest from 2013:
- In medical/dental/mental health and counseling services 6,014 appointments were filled and were patients seen.
- We held 496 clinics in 2013.
Dreams for 2014:
- In January the Affordable Care Act began. Many of our patients will qualify for Oregon Health Plan. We want to be a support to our patients in 2014 as they transition from our services to their new providers as we continue to serve our patients who as still without healthcare as well as our increased Hispanic/Micronesian patients.
- With the changes in health care coverage, we want to be a support to our partners at Project Access and MedAssist at they too navigate changes in the services they provide to our patients.
- We anticipate application for a third year of our grant through Kaiser Permanente for the continuation and expansion of our Diabetic Specialty Clinics.
- We long to continue our partnership with Kaiser Permanente that includes increased KP Night Out events here at Salem Free Clinics.
- We anticipate an expansion of our Diabetic Specialty Clinic to our satellite clinic in Dallas (Polk Community Free Clinic).